GPS Coordinates to access this building :

Longitude: 5° 35' 30.9798" (5.591939091682434) - Latitude: 50° 38' 45.6642" (50.64601816028371)

 

2025-sart-tilman-uliege-J6-5-c-v-dakpui

J6 · Institute of Dentistry

Centre-ville Campus - Outremeuse zone
quai Godefroid Kurth 45
4020 Liège

© ULiège | V.Dakpui

In 1926, the University of Liège set up a small stomatology department in a private house on Boulevard de la Constitution (stomatology is the science of disorders of the mouth and teeth, not the stomach). Three years later, dentistry became a university discipline and could only be practiced by university graduates (licentiates in dental science). The Stomatology Department became a University Institute, while student training required larger, more suitable premises.

Between 1936 and 1941, a building dedicated to dentistry was erected on the site of the Bavarian Hospital. In the early 1970s, it was extended by two floors.

In 1985, unlike the other departments of the Bavarian Hospital, the Institute of Dentistry was not transferred to the University Hospital at Sart Tilman.

In fact, the Institute's historical location in the heart of the working-class Outremeuse district has enabled it to build up a loyal patient base, while ensuring its regular renewal.

In 1996, the old dentistry building stood alone in the middle of the Bavarian Hospital wasteland. But the University still had to study and implement a sufficiently sustainable alternative to house its Institute of Dentistry.

In 1996, the Board of Trustees therefore decided to erect a building on the site of the Brull Polyclinics. The project was entrusted to project manager Tractebel (architect: Bureau des architectes associés). Work began in August 1999.

Since June 2001, the Institute of Dentistry has been definitively established in these premises. Three thousand square metres of new facilities, half of which - the entire second floor - is dedicated to patients and care. In the middle of this second floor is the patient reception area and a vast waiting room, around which are four generously glazed treatment units. This "star-shaped" spatial arrangement ensures that the Institute is both user-friendly and always bustling with activity. On average, two hundred patients pass through here every day for the treatment of a cavity or stubborn gingivitis, for grandma's prosthesis, but also for a routine visit, the "brace" for the little one, the fitting of implants or the replacement of grey amalgams with more aesthetic fillings.



Building nearby :

Building of Faculty of Medicine :

Bus/tram stop(s) nearby :

cookieImage